Thursday, January 17, 2013

Who Could Turn From Christ?































This evening I learned one of my Laurels is not really interested in Christ or the gospel anymore. It tore a piece of my heart. Who could turn from Christ?

A Laurel is a girl in our church between the ages of 16-18. Her age alone, you might say, would be answer enough for my question. True. I can hope she will come back. I can pray she does. Then it hit me. "Call her."

"Who, me Lord?" I asked. And so my conversation with my Heavenly Father began.

"Yes. You, Corrina."

"She won't listen to me. She doesn't know me well enough or trust me yet."

"She will."

"I'm afraid."

"Of what? A girl?"

"Yes. I've opened myself up to her and the other girls I teach week after week. What if she throws it in my face?"

"She won't."

"How . . .?"

"Call her."

I picked up the phone and called before I lost my nerve. Her mother answered and told me to try in an hour. She'd be home. She also wished me luck.

I tried in an hour and a half. (I said I was nervous!) No answer. It went straight to voicemail. I left a message.

No call back from mother or daughter.

I tried again an hour later. This time it rang. My heart jumped. I swallowed nervously. Mother answered and took the phone to daughter.

Here is the gist our conversation.

"Hi! It's Sister Terry! How are you?"

"Okay, I guess."

"Is everything going ok?"

"Yeah. I'm just going through some stuff."

"Anything I can help you with?"

"No. Not really."

Silence. (I was hoping she'd open up a little. Nope. She was quiet.)

"Well, . . . I called to ask your help. I'm giving the lesson on Sunday, you know how the new lessons don't have manuals? I'm asking the girls in class to each read, ponder, and pray about a scripture, then come to class prepared to share your thoughts and feelings. Could you help me? Will you be there on Sunday?"

Silence a second too long.

"I'll try." (Less than enthused.)

"Thank you! The scriptures are---wait. I'll wait for you to get a pen. Let me know when you're ready."

Noise in background as she searches for a pen. Finally after some time a pen is found. She's ready.

"Matthew 11:28-30 and John 14:27."

After some further small talk, I told her we missed her and loved her and looked forward to seeing her on Sunday. She was less than enthusiastic.

I am hopeful. I'm also an optimist.

I pray about the scriptures I assign to the girls each week. You may wonder what her scriptures said. They are:

Matthew 11:28-30
"28 aCome unto me, all ye that blabour and are heavy laden, and I will give you crest.
 29 Take my ayoke upon you, and blearn of me; for I am cmeek and dlowly in eheart: and ye shall find frest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is aeasy, and my burden is light."
 
and
 
John 14:27
"27 aPeace I leave with you, my bpeace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be ctroubled, neither let it be afraid."
 
Was God guiding me tonight or what?

After we hung up, I was shaking and couldn't help but cry a little. Not about her brusque manner with me, but because she leaving the light and walking out into the dark. I know that God loves her. I know that His Son, Jesus Christ, loves her too, and she's turning her back on both of them. The two people (at her age) she should be turning to most! Why???

I hope she comes to our class on Sunday. I pray she does! I pray she reads those scriptures and is brought closer to the Spirit, who will in turn, bring her closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We'll see what Sunday brings.

Copyright 2013 Corrina L. Terry
Photo & Scriptures: www.lds.org

2 comments:

  1. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Good job of listening to the promptings, and being persistent! I hope she'll respond.

    So, how do you like the new curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. T---Thanks! I won't give up. She's a good kid.

    I LOVE the new curriculum. It's like teaching at school. I have the main idea, but I choose (listening to the Spirit) about how to approach it, what videos and stories to use, etc. I'm happy. How about you? Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete