Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dusting off Memories

Sorry to miss writing last night. The hubby and I had our much belated Anniversary Date! We had a delicious dinner and dessert and walked around the Venetian Hotel, pretending we were in Venice. It was late when I went to sleep.

The good news is that the ideas are flowing this evening!

Every year at the beginning of January (or so depending on my time) I go through my second hand filing cabinet to clean out our financial files and store them elsewhere for seven years. Joy. I know. Ugh!!!

This year, as I replaced old, cruddy manila files with crisp, colorful, new ones, I made room in the lower drawer for some files. That meant throwing out files I never use. I went through every single file to determine what to keep and what to remove.

I came across several file folders of keepsakes I hadn't seen in years! 


Some I had hung in my rooms in high school and college.
 
 
Some were cards from people I love who have passed on.

 
Some were quotes, poems, or Open House fliers from temples I'd been to.

 
Some were postcards that remind me of trips I took with my family or the last gift tag from my Grandma and Grandpa Thacke.

 
The last one made me chuckle. It was a Wish List/Dreams from when I was around 25 (almost 20 years ago!) You have to promise not to laugh. I was young. Can you even read my messy writing?
 
Sadly, I have not travelled to any of the places I listed, except back to New York City, and I did go to several graveyards and churches there.
 
I have written children's picture books, but have not published them. (Deseret Book turned me down on one.) I've written a TON, but never written an entire novel. Short stories and poems I can handle, although I do have the beginnings of two excellent novels on my computer right now.
 
Happily, I have obtained my masters degree, but in Teaching (and I've gone on to complete 28 more credit hours besides.)
 
Why weight was such an issue to me then, I have no idea. I have weighed 125 pounds since then and hold pretty steady right around there. It's not a big deal to me anymore.
 
I love genealogy, but don't make enough time for it.
 
I have a nice, personalized home and was blessed to have one child. I also gained a stepson in my second marriage.

I've also ran a 5K and a 10K. (I never believed I'd run like I do now. Walking was enough for me then.)
 
I'm no longer married to the man mentioned on this list. (Don't worry. I'm happily married to Steven Terry and he's finishing his degree in teaching.)
 
Looking over this list, I realize I still want to finish it and I will.
 
Someday.
 
I'd also like to add to it.
 
I'd add:
Get sealed to Steven J. Terry. 
Get out of debt.
Send my sons (worthy and prepared) on missions.
Pick them up from their missions and meet the people they taught and baptized.
Send my boys to college.
Attend their college graduations.
Attend their temple weddings.
Babysit their children.
Teach my grandchildren everything I know.
 
Copyright 2013 Corrina L. Terry
Photos: Corrina L. Terry 2013
 
 

2 comments: