Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Epiphany Summer


The photo above was taken over Memorial Day weekend. I blinked and already it was September. Wasn't it just June?

We had lots of fun (and work) this summer. The boys went off to various Scout Camps and visited their other parents. Steve enrolled in a training that kept him busy both weekdays AND most weekends, so we didn't do much as a whole family. I worked, but towards more degrees.

I call it "2012: The Summer Alone."

I was alone for weeks without the boys and until late evenings without my hubby. I knew I had to keep busy or I'd go crazy, so I signed up for 18 credit hours. It was a program entitled "Technology in the Classroom," and was all online. I had never before taken an online class. I was out of my comfort zone. I freaked out. I panicked. I cried almost daily for the first week. (We slogged through a HUGE manual on Microsoft Office 2010 in the first 3 weeks alone. That was just ONE class. Trust me. It was painful!)

Looking back what got me through it was lots of prayers, really reading my scriptures daily, and FORCING myself to sit down every day for 3-8 hours and slave away at learning new programs. I haven't been that uncomfortable in a long time, but it was worth it. I'm way more comfortable using technology in my classroom. The pay increase alone will assist our humble little family to pay off debt in a more timely fashion. Plus I learned to be more disciplined. The downside was that I was so sick of being on the laptop all day, that I didn't blog!

I also learned to survive on my own again. It's been almost 13 years since I've had more than 5 or 6 days without kids. That alone was an epiphany for me. I got a glimpse of life in 6 years when my two little punks are out of the house. I'll be sad, but I'll be prepared with a class (or 2 or 3) to keep myself busy.

This summer I realized the following:
1. Keeping busy is good for me.
2. My dogs CAN be trained to take a walk without dragging me along.
3. Too many mint M&M's aren't worth the extra run/walk time it takes to burn the weight off.
4. My hubby and I can talk about things other than our kids.
5. I've still got it when it comes to taking classes.
6. I'm not afraid of computer technology.
7. I can be alone all day and it's alright.
8. My Heavenly Father must really love me.

Hope you had a great summer too!  :o)
Copyright 2012 Corrina L. Terry


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Good job keeping busy and accomplishing things! You even raise independent dogs. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T---Missed you this summer! How are things?

    ReplyDelete