Sunday, February 3, 2019


Image result for pollyanna

Happy, No Matter What        

One of my favorite movies of all time is the Disney classic, “Pollyanna,” a 1960 live action drama starring Hayley Mills, a cheerful orphan who changes the outlook of a small town. She plays the “Glad Game,” looking for as many things as she can to be glad for in each situation, even the worst situations. I loved the clothes, the set, the characters, and of course, the story. As the oldest of 5 kids, I couldn’t imagine being orphaned and sent to live with an aunt I never knew. Make that a cold, wealthy aunt, who lacked cheer or love of any kind. When I imagined myself in Pollyanna’s shoes, I would have crumbled and cried, feeling very sorry for myself and the situation life had placed me in. I never would have had her strength at that young age, but Pollyanna gave me my first insight into realizing I could choose my own happiness, regardless of my situation.

That’s not to say my life has been perfect. Ha! I wish! If I could list for you the number of things I have tried and failed at, been turned down for, or simply had the misfortune to have happen to me, you would probably be surprised. Let me give you a small glimpse.

I applied for two, yes two, MBA programs and was turned down. I applied for a Doctorate program and was turned down. I tried out for a dance team in 8th grade and another in 9th grade and was turned down both times. I was turned down for a great job with an airplane manufacturing company, in which the owner openly mocked my having an English degree. I was told that maybe I wasn’t a very good teacher, this after I had been teaching for about four years, and told that maybe I should try something else. I was physically and sexually attacked in grade school, not once, but several times. I totaled my favorite car at age 21, not my fault, but still, a terrible accident where I lost a beloved car I was still not finished paying off. My first husband chose his beliefs and friends over me. I wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom with 3 kids, but struggle to get pregnant. It took about 4 years before Josh and could never get pregnant again after Josh, trying for years and years. A boyfriend I dearly loved chose not to come to the gospel, despite the possibility of us being married. I have almost died as a result of illnesses, one of which left me so weakened that it took me years to get back to feeling normal. I have been ridiculed for my religious and political beliefs, humiliated by my clumsy nature, and outright mocked for choosing to look at the bright side of things. I have had dear friends and family members die tragically and others die slowly. I struggled with post-partum depression and once in a while feel myself slipping into depression again. And don’t even get me started on the people who have complained about how I have served in callings.

Reading over that list you may wonder why I even get out of bed in the morning. Don’t even sweat it. I know why.

I get out of bed every morning with a joyful heart because I look for and thank Heavenly Father for the blessings around me. I appreciate every day, because I know that every day is a gift. I am grateful for every closed door, because another door opened.

The airplane manufacturing job I was turned down for led me to apply for and receive a much better job at Covey Leadership Center. I worked with some of the best people God has put on this earth. The things I learned at Covey help me daily in my own life, my job and in my home, and I made friends who are like family to me.

The first husband who walked away gave me an opportunity to self-reflect. I went to counseling. I dug deep in my gospel study, seeing and understanding more in the scriptures than I ever had before. I learned to put up boundaries with those who would take advantage of me and to stand up for myself. Another door opened when Steve and I reconnected. I never would have known how great marriage could be without going through all that I did. I also would never have gained such a strong testimony of our Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ. I know who they are and that they love me.

The 3 kids I always wanted? Well I was blessed with a bonus son when I married Steve, not to mention the 170 “kids” I teach every year. Over 12 years that totals to 2,040 kids so far, plus my 2. I tell my students they are my students for life. Many of them return each year or send me an email to say hi and catch up. I am grateful for the opportunity I have had to be a mother figure to them all.

For all of these negative things that happened, I never let them get me down for long. In 2 Nephi 2:25 it says, “. . . men are that they might have joy.” I truly believe this. God wants us to be happy. I have chosen to be happy no matter what. Heavenly Father has given us so many things that bring us joy---chocolate, children and grandchildren, flowers, pets, friends, family, butterflies, yummy food, sunny skies, love, good books and films, cute clothes, soft blankets, beaches and mountains, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, and beautiful deserts and jungles. I could go on and on.

When you find yourself starting to see only the negative around you, stop it.  Look for the good things. Play Pollyanna’s Glad Game. Once you start, you may be surprised how many blessings there are in your life and in the lives of those around you. Each of us live with sorrow, pain and regret, but dwelling there longer than God would want us to only stalls our immortal growth. Each of us had godly potential. Look for yours. Deiter F. Uchtdorf said, "Our destiny is not determined by the number of times we stumble, but by the  number of times we rise up, dust ourselves off, and move forward." 

 Corrina L. Terry © February 3, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment