Saturday, February 26, 2011

dive for dreams

Green Lake Sunset


dive for dreams
or a slogan may topple you
(trees are their roots
and wind is wind)
trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)
honour the past
but welcome the future
(and dance your death
away at the wedding)
never mind a world
with its villains or heroes
(for good likes girls
and tomorrow and the earth)
in spite of everything
which breathes and moves, since Doom
(with white longest hands
neating each crease)
will smooth entirely our minds
-before leaving my room
i turn, and (stooping
through the morning) kiss
this pillow, dear
where our heads lived and were.
                          e.e. cummings


I've always loved reading e.e. cummings. As a kid (and future English teacher I guess) the idea that he could break the rules and write everything in lowercase fascinated me. Nowadays he's a poet whose words I enjoy reading. I like the simplicity of the words he uses and the images they create when I read them. He's a safe place for me.

I recently read the poem above in the novel, "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud," by Ben Sherwood. Before you ask, YES---that teeny bopper starred in a movie about this book. I haven't seen the movie. I probably won't. I'm not a teeny bopper fan and movies are usually never as good as the books.

I was curious about the story in this book though. (I love a good story.) It pushed the boundaries of my faith and beliefs, but if I look at it as just a story, I enjoyed it. The hero of the story, Charlie, faces changing his life and it's set rhythms. He learns to dive for dreams. THAT part of it, I really enjoyed.

Much like Lee Ann Womack's song, "I Hope You Dance," e.e. cummings' poem reminds me to take chances with my life. (I have, trust me. It's always nice to hear the reminder though.) This is a message I hope my son, J, listens to. I want him to dive for dreams, trust his heart, and honour the past, but welcome the future. It's great advice. I hope he doesn't sit on the sidelines of life, but jumps in.

Copyright 2011 Corrina L. Terry
Photo credit: Jill Battaglia Photography Enthusiast @ www.betterphoto.com   (She has some AMAZING photos on her site there!)

2 comments:

  1. Love ee cummings, in fact, (ironically!) this is the second cummings poem I've come across blog reading in the past 15 minutes! (random & cool coincidence, eh?)

    That Sherwood book sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete